If you’re hungry for a delicious warm-weather salad with bright, fresh flavors, this Strawberry Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is right up your alley. It’s quick to assemble and the perfect starter for any dish..add sliced chicken to make this delicious salad a full meal!
There are plenty of recipes out there for strawberry salad, and why not? Fresh, seasonal berries are fabulous on pancakes and yogurt, why not a green salad too?
This is one different because, besides being really simple with luscious, contrasting flavors and textures, its got some extras:
- Thin, perfect asparagus that’s barely cooked so it stays really crisp
- Crunchy sliced almonds
- Tangy, creamy, goat cheese
- A juicy, honey-spiked fresh lemon vinaigrette
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Strawberries: The freshest looking, organic berries you can find
- Fresh Spinach: This leafy but sturdy green isn’t bitter at all, and so perfect in this salad
- Mache: This little green lettuce is special and sweet and sometimes referred to as “lambs ear.” If you can’t find it, just use butter lettuce instead
- Asparagus: As thin as you can find, organic if possible
- Shallot: Thin slices of this subtle and sweet (and my very favorite in the whole world) onion
- Goat Cheese: Tangy and creamy for a delicious contrast of textures
- Sliced Almonds: For a little extra crunch
- Fresh Lemon: Shake the juice together with olive oil, dijon mustard, a touch of mayo and seasonings to make a bright, flavorful vinaigrette (that’s good on everything but your cereal, btw).
Step by Step Salad Directions
- Remove the woody bottoms of the asparagus with a vegetable peeler or paring knife
- Cook the asparagus quickly in a saute pan with a little water, just enough to retain it’s bright green color and crispness
- Whisk together the fresh lemon vinaigrette
- Divide the greens, asparagus, sliced shallots, goat cheese, almonds and strawberries on each plate
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve!
Tips and Variations for this Recipe:
- Yes, this salad can be made more substantial and totally amazing with a warm, thinly cut chicken breast on top. So would grilled salmon or even a sliced hard boiled egg.
- Swap out the sliced almonds for toasted pine nuts or walnuts or pecans! Honey roasted almonds are a nice switch too.
- This salad comes together quickly! Prep the ingredients in advance in separate containers, refrigerate, and plate when you’re ready
- I’ve served this salad many times on a big, white platter which looks pretty stunning if I do say so myself
- Be sure to serve ALL salads with toasty, buttered bread. I don’t make the rules 🙂 🙂
More Recipes to Try:
If you’ve tried this Strawberry Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, or any recipe on Studio Delicious, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below
Strawberry Asparagus Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
- 4 1/2 cups Spinach, fresh, rinsed and dried, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Mache, lambs ear or butter lettuce, rinsed, dried and torn
- 1 pound Asparagus, washed and dried with bottom woody parts removed
- 2 tablespoons Shallot, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons Goat Cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons Sliced Almonds
- 2 cups Strawberries, organic if possible, sliced
- FOR THE LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 6 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 teaspoons Honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- PREPARE ASPARAGUS
- Remove the woody bottoms of the asparagus with a paring knife or vegetable peeler. Place asparagus in a medium saucepan with just enough water to cover the bottom, along with a pinch of salt.Turn heat to medium high and bring to a light (not rolling) boil. Cook until the water is evaporated and the asparagus is bright green, about 4 minutes.
- Remove asparagus from pan and quickly place it a bowl of cold water with ice cubes to stop the cooking process and help retain the bright green color. Let the asparagus sit in cold water for about 5 minutes, then remove and pat them dry carefully on clean paper towels.
- PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE
- Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to completely combine. Alternatively, put all ingredients in a small canning jar with a lid, shaking it for several minutes until combined.
- PLATE THE SALADS
- Divide the greens onto four plates, then divide the spears of the asparagus onto each plate. Sprinkle a heaping teaspoon of shallot on each plate, and a tablespoon or so each of the crumbled goat cheese and sliced almonds. Divide the strawberries on each plate, then drizzle with a generous tablespoon of the vinaigrette, and more for serving if desired.
- Try honey roasted sliced almonds instead of plain, super delish!
- Use a bit more honey in the vinaigrette if you like it sweeter
- Remove the woody bottom part of each asparagus spear with a vegetable peeler
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible
This recipe was originally published in May 2019, and updated May 2020