This Modern Carrot Salad recipe is all grown up, not dripping with mayo in any way, and is a really refreshing way to enjoy fresh carrots. This old-fashioned recipe is updated with dried currants, shallots, fresh orange and a light vinaigrette.
Modern Carrot Salad
Call me psychic, but I’m guessing exactly none of you are sitting around fantasizing about eating carrot salad.
Maybe you wouldn’t even consider making a carrot salad, because last time you had it was at a potluck when you were eight years old – and it was loaded with raisins, pineapple, sugar, and a heavy glob of mayonnaise.
Maybe it was runny, and sort of awful, and eating it felt like punishment.
You sure couldn’t taste the carrots.
With all that baggage, a carrot salad might not be your first choice for any reason, ever.
Give me a minute, because I’ll make a case for this carrot salad recipe.
We swap traditional raisins for tiny, soft, flavorful currants.
We add paper-thin sliced shallots.
Next comes chopped Italian parsley and a big, flavorful zest of fresh orange rind. Lemon pepper and sea salt finish it off nicely.
With a final flourish of simple, juicy vinaigrette made with squeezed lemon and orange juice, dijon mustard, honey and fruity olive oil, these simple ingredients come together to make something special.
This old potluck staple now tastes like a sophisticated, seriously delicious side dish that deserves to be added to your repertoire.
There’s not much else to say about it, except it tasted clean and refreshing, and really hit the spot.
After I took this picture, I ate some.
A couple hours later, more – but this time with a piece of hot crusty french bread.
I was shocked I loved this Modern Carrot Salad so much.
This baby is first on my list next time I need a simple, wonderful side dish.
Here’s Another Salad Recipe:
Modern Carrot Salad
- 1 pound Carrots, organic if possible
- 1 1/2 tbsp Shallot, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons Italian (flat leaf) Parsley Plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Zest, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup Currants, dried
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 tablespoon Orange Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Pepper, freshly grated
- Make the SALAD
- Wash, peel and rewash the carrots.
- Trim off the ends, and using a spiralizer or box grater with large holes, grate the carrots and place in a medium size bowl.
- Finely dice the shallot and place it in the bowl with the carrots.
- Add the chopped flat leaf parsley, fresh orange zest and dried currants.
- MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
- Combine all the ingredients in a small glass bowl and whisk together (a fork works fine if you don't have a whisk.) Alternatively, put the ingredients in a canning jar with a lid and shake it to combine.
- Pour the vinaigrette slowly over the salad, gently tossing the ingredients together with a large spoon, using enough vinaigrette to completely coat it.
- Season with a another twist of lemon pepper and a pinch of sea or flake salt, transfer to serving platter or bowl and add the remaining flat leaf parsley for garnish.
- This recipe was updated December 2019.
Source: Studio Delicious