Outrageous Chocolate Dipped Strawberries are fun to make and even better to eat! White and milk chocolate covers the strawberries before they’re rolled in toasted coconut, chopped pistachios and sprinkles. This chocolate-dipped dessert is great for gifting or parties.
If you’ve never made Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, I hope this post changes that.
See, they are waaaaaaaay better than you might think, and as far as desserts go, they’re special enough for parties or even gifting.
I have deemed these strawberries “outrageous” because there are so many flavor combinations to play with, and everybody LOVES them!
They are a bit unexpected and special-looking, don’t you think?
Ingredients You’ll Need for Outrageous Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Strawberries: Obviously. Organic berries, if possible.
- White and Dark Chocolate: For melting and dipping. Chopped from a bar or block, or regular-sized chocolate chips work too.
- Sliced Almonds: To garnish the beautiful berries.
- Chopped Nuts: I used chopped salted peanuts and pistachios, but honey roasted peanuts are great too.
- Sprinkles: Have fun picking out whatever sprinkles you like.
- Mini Chips: I love the way mini white and milk chocolate chips look on the strawberries – they’re easy to find in grocery stores near the regular chocolate chips.
- Toasted Coconut: Any shredded coconut works. Just toast first on a baking sheet in your oven at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Crumble the coconut a bit with your fingers to break it down before sprinkling on the strawberries.
How to Make Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Melt the chocolate. Set a heatproof bowl inside a medium-sized saucepan with a couple inches of water on the bottom – don’t let the bowl touch the water. Add the chopped chocolate to the bowl, then heat the water to a simmer on medium-high until the chocolate starts to melt.
Don’t let the water boil...the chocolate won’t like it and seize up. Just stir occasionally, then remove the bowl from the saucepan. The chocolate will continue to melt as you stir and I promise it will become smooth.
Dip the strawberries one at a time in the melted chocolate, then place on a large baking sheet and decorate. Repeat.
Add the toppings, but wait for several seconds after dipping them in the chocolate to let it set a little first. Do this too fast and the toppings will slide right off which is not what we want 🙂
As you are melting and dipping and sprinkling, go back and add a few more toppings to fill in the gaps if needed. More is better.
Tips For Making This Recipe
- Dip and garnish one berry at a time. You’ll need to work a little bit quickly, too, so have all your ingredients ready.
- Use a combination of toppings such as chocolate sprinkles, toasted coconut, chopped peanuts or honey roasted nuts, plus a variety of sprinkles. More variations equals more fun.
- To toast the shredded coconut, place it on a large baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 8 minutes. Cool completely and crumble with your fingers to sprinkle on the strawberries
- It’s easy to double this recipe for a crowd! Plus it’s a super fun party dessert that everyone LOVES.
- Prevent sprinkle falloff by waiting a few seconds after dipping in the chocolate to add your toppings.
- Add the toppings with your (clean) fingers.
- Best to eat the strawberries the same day they’re made, but if you have a few leftovers, store them in the refrigerator
Serving Ideas for this Recipe
- A big tray of these chocolate dipped strawberries will make people very happy served at a cookout or BBQ.
- Baby and bridal showers love chocolate dipped strawberries too.
- Give them as party favors! Add a little square of natural waxed paper to the bottom of each berry and tuck one into a clear cellophane bag tied with a pretty ribbon. Place the bags on a big platter and hand one to each guest on their way out the door 🙂
- Make a little or a lot…this recipe scales really easily for just a few berries or many.
More Recipes to Try
If you’ve tried these Outrageous Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, or a any recipe on Studio Delicious, leave me a comment below or tag me at #studiodeliciouseats…I’d love to see it!
Outrageous Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- 1 pound Strawberries, organic
- 6 ounces Milk Chocolate, chopped
- 6 ounces White Chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup Pistachios, salted, chopped See recipe note
- 1/4 cup Honey Roasted Peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup Coconut flakes, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup Sprinkles, multi-colored
- Line a large baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Place the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl that is set inside a medium saucepan filled with a few inches of water. Make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water in the bottom of the saucepan.
- Simmer the water on medium high heat until the chocolate starts to melt, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir the chocolate until smooth. Set the white chocolate aside.Use the same process with the milk chocolate.
- Alternatively, you heat the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds at time, stirring at each interval with a spoon until the mixture begins to melt. Once the chocolate starts to melt, stirring it will make the whole mixture smooth. Continue to heat and stir until the chocolate is smooth.
- Carefully hold each strawberry by the stem and dip it in the warm chocolate and set it on the baking sheet. Wait a few seconds for the chocolate to set up a bit, then top with nuts or sprinkles using your fingers. You can go back and add a few more sprinkles as you are doing this to fill in spots if needed. See recipe notes.
- Mix and match the chocolates and toppings to make a variety.
- Cool the strawberries so they set, which will take 30-45 minutes. Keep in a cool location until serving. Alternatively, you can place the whole baking sheet in the refrigerator for 15 minutes until the strawberries are completely cool. Strawberries are best eaten the day they are made.
This post was originally published in April 2017 and was updated February 2020.