Celery Salad with Hazelnuts is a crisp, refreshing way to use up leftover celery in the fridge. This is a unique and delicious veggie side salad, with a lemon mustard vinaigrette and big shavings of Parmesan cheese. This salad recipe is a keeper!
If you’ve ever wondered what to do with the rest of the bunch of celery you bought for that pot of minestrone, then read on, folks, I’ve got a delicious solution:
- Celery is TOTALLY under-rated as a salad ingredient. As a matter of fact it’s a unique and refreshing vegetable side dish for BBQ, roasted meats, fish or chicken
- Once the stringy outer layer of the celery is removed, celery it is a JOY to eat.
- With the rich, earthy flavor of toasted hazelnuts, generous shavings of Parmesan cheese and a tangy vinaigrette, who knows? Maybe celery will become you’re new favorite vegetable.
- No more celery waste! This is a HUGE breakthrough in the world, don’t you think? 🙂
Ingredients For This Recipe
Note: This is a partial list of ingredients. For the full list, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Celery: Organic, please
- Hazelnuts: Toasted and lightly salted
- Parsley: Italian flat leaf, always and forever and ever 🙂
- Parmesan Cheese: Buy it in a wedge, then use a vegetable peeler to shave into long, thin pieces
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice is best for the flavorful vinaigrette
- Olive Oil: Extra Virgin is what we’ll use
- Dijon Mustard: Any Dijon mustard works, but Maille is my all-time favorite for very good reason
- Salt & Pepper: Freshly ground pepper and flake sea salt to boost flavor
How to Prep a Celery Stalk
- Celery can be stringy, chewy and get stuck in your teeth. This is not good. 🙂
- Wash and dry the whole celery, cut the base off the bottom, then trim the stalks off individually, peel and slice.
- Get rid of the tough, fibrous exterior by using a vegetable peeler and taking off one thin strip at a time. Just position the vegetable peeler at the base of the stalk, and pull up lightly on the peeler up the length of the celery to remove.
How to Slice Celery
To slice the celery for this salad, cut the peeled stalks into approximate 1/4″ slices on the diagonal using a sharp knife.
How to Make This Recipe
- Clean, trim and slice the celery, including some of the leafy inside greens from the center of the bunch.
- Lightly crush the hazelnuts with the bottom of a heavy jar or meat mallet.
- Shave the Parmesan cheese to make about 1/4 cup.
- Chop the Italian Parsley.
- Make the vinaigrette, toss it with the salad, and let it sit for 15 minutes to combine the flavors.
- Toss gently and serve!
Tips for Success and Serving Ideas
Reserve some of the leafy pieces of celery from the middle of the bunch to chop and add to the salad bowl. The leaves have a lot of great flavor, and look pretty on the plate, too.
This refreshing salad is super compatible with any protein cooked on a grill, as well as roasted meats or baked fish, and it stays fresh in the fridge overnight – add the hazelnuts just before serving. For a wonderful, light dessert, try Roasted Nectarines with Caramel Sauce.
I love to eat this this simple salad for a satisfying lunch with a piece of hot, toasted bread. (And a seat by a sunny window :))
More Recipes to Try:
If you’ve tried this Celery Salad with Hazelnuts, or any other recipe on Studio Delicious, please leave me a comment below, or tag me at #studiodeliciouseats!
Celery Salad with Hazelnuts
- 4 stalks Celery, tough exteriors removed, sliced thinly at an angle See recipe notes
- 2 tbsp Celery leaves See recipe notes
- 1/4 cup Hazelnuts, toasted, lightly chopped or crushed See recipe notes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved thinly See recipe notes
- 2 tbsp Italian Parsley, roughly chopped Plus more for garnish
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Flaky Sea Salt
- 1/3 tsp Honey
- Use a medium-sized bowl to compile this salad.
- Remove the tough, stringy exteriors of the celery leaves with a vegetable peeler, add to the bowl
- Chop enough of the leafy celery leaves from the center of the celery bunch for about 2 tablespoons, add to the bowl
- Lightly crush the hazelnuts lightly with the bottom of heavy jar or a meat mallet, add to the bowl (unless making in advance, in which case, add just before serving)
- Shave the Parmesan cheese, add to the bowl
- Chop the Italian Parsley, add to the bowl
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, pepper, salt and honey to a small jar and shake very well until combined. Alternatively, put all the vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- TO SERVE: Add the vinaigrette together with the salad ingredients and lightly toss to combine. Let the whole mixture sit together in the bowl for 15 minutes, then lightly toss again and serve.
- You can buy Oven Roasted and Unsalted Oregon Hazelnuts at Trader Joe's.
- Lightly crush the hazelnuts with a jar or heavy-bottomed glass or meat mallet.
- For the Parmesan cheese, use a vegetable peeler and lightly shave into thin strips to make a 1/4 cup.
- Reserve some of the leafy pieces of celery from the middle of the bunch to chop and add to the salad bowl. The leaves have a lot of great flavor, and look pretty on the plate, too.
- This refreshing salad is super compatible with any protein cooked on a grill, as well as roasted meats or baked fish, and it stays fresh in the fridge overnight - just add the hazelnuts just before serving.
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible