Hungry for a refreshing salad with bright, fresh flavors? Strawberry Asparagus Salad is quick to assemble and is the perfect starter for almost any meal, or a meal itself!
Love salads like this? Try this Blackberry Goat Cheese Salad too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are plenty of recipes out there for strawberry salad, and why not? Fresh, seasonal berries are fabulous on pancakes and yogurt, why not a green salad too?
This is one different because, besides being really simple with luscious, contrasting flavors and textures, its got some extras:
- Thin, perfect asparagus that’s barely cooked so it stays really crisp
- Crunchy sliced almonds
- Tangy, creamy, goat cheese
- A juicy, honey-spiked fresh lemon vinaigrette
- This would make a delicious dinner with something quick and easy like Skillet Taco Bake or Chicken Sausage Tortellini Soup.
- For a strawberry overload, why not try this Mini Strawberry Pies Recipe for dessert?
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the full recipe, instructions and list of ingredients, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- Strawberries: The freshest looking, organic berries you can find
- Fresh Spinach: This leafy but sturdy green isn’t bitter at all, and so perfect in this salad
- Mache: This little green lettuce is special and sweet and sometimes referred to as “lambs ear.” If you can’t find it, use butter lettuce instead
- Asparagus: As thin as you can find, organic if possible
- Shallot: Thin slices of this subtle and sweet (and my very favorite in the whole world) onion
- Goat Cheese: Tangy and creamy for a delicious contrast of textures
- Sliced Almonds: For a little extra crunch
- Fresh Lemon: Shake the juice together with olive oil, dijon mustard, a touch of mayo and seasonings to make a bright, flavorful vinaigrette (that’s good on everything but your cereal, btw).
For the full recipe, ingredient list and instructions, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- Remove the woody bottoms of the asparagus with a vegetable peeler or paring knife
- Cook the asparagus quickly in a saute pan with a little water, just enough to retain it’s bright green color and crispness
- Whisk together the fresh lemon vinaigrette
- Divide the greens, asparagus, sliced shallots, goat cheese, almonds and strawberries on each plate
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve!
Expert Tips and Variations
- This salad can be made more substantial and totally amazing with a warm, thinly cut chicken breast on top. So would grilled salmon or even sliced hard boiled egg.
- Swap out the sliced almonds for toasted pine nuts or walnuts or pecans! Honey roasted almonds are a nice switch too.
- This salad comes together quickly! Prep the ingredients in advance in separate containers, refrigerate, and plate when you’re ready to serve.
- I’ve served this salad many times on a big, white platter and let everyone help themselves with the vinaigrette served on the side.
- Have a salad party! Make a few salads for a full spread. Other ideas are this Blackberry Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts, Modern Carrot Salad, or Pan Roasted Pear Salad.
- Make some toasted bread and olive oil for alongside. If you’re having this for lunch, round it out with Dark Cherry Smoothies.
- For casual dinners, serve it before Summer Pasta or this Turkey Burger. So good!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Sliced, cooked chicken would be wonderful, so would grilled shrimp.
Sure! Try fresh blueberries or raspberries instead.
You can prep the components separately in advance, and the lemon vinaigrette will be fine in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Arrange and drizzle the salad dressing just before serving.
More Recipes to Try:
Healthy Breakfast Bowl Recipe: Fresh and so delicious for busy mornings!
Roasted Spring Vegetables with Vinaigrette: So pretty, so delicious.
Spring Vegetable Frittatas: Healthy for a quick breakfast, brunch or light lunch.
Strawberry Cheesecake in a Jar: A reader favorite, these are easy to make in advance.
Outrageous Chocolate Dipped Strawberries: Beautiful and surprisingly easy, this is a fun dessert to make, eat or gift!
Simple Chickpea Salad: Simple and perfect with pantry staples, this salad is a keeper!
Celery Salad with Hazelnuts: What to do with leftover celery? This is an absolutely delicious little recipe you’ll make again and again!
If you’ve tried this Strawberry Asparagus Salad, or any recipe on Studio Delicious, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
Looking for more tips and fresh, homemade recipes? Join my email list, tag and follow me on Instagram using #studiodeliciouseats, follow my boards on Pinterest, and see what I’m up to on Facebook and Twitter!
Strawberry Asparagus Salad
- 4 1/2 cups Spinach, fresh, rinsed and dried, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Mache, lambs ear or butter lettuce, rinsed, dried and torn
- 1 pound Asparagus, washed and dried with bottom woody parts removed
- 2 tablespoons Shallot, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons Goat Cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons Sliced Almonds
- 2 cups Strawberries, organic if possible, sliced
- FOR THE LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 6 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 teaspoons Honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- PREPARE ASPARAGUS
- Remove the woody bottoms of the asparagus with a paring knife or vegetable peeler. Place asparagus in a medium saucepan with just enough water to cover the bottom, along with a pinch of salt.Turn heat to medium high and bring to a light (not rolling) boil. Cook until the water is evaporated and the asparagus is bright green, about 4 minutes.
- Remove asparagus from pan and quickly place it a bowl of cold water with ice cubes to stop the cooking process and help retain the bright green color. Let the asparagus sit in cold water for about 5 minutes, then remove and pat them dry carefully on clean paper towels.
- PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE
- Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to completely combine. Alternatively, put all ingredients in a small canning jar with a lid, shaking it for several minutes until combined.
- PLATE THE SALADS
- Divide the greens onto four plates, then divide the spears of the asparagus onto each plate. Sprinkle a heaping teaspoon of shallot on each plate, and a tablespoon or so each of the crumbled goat cheese and sliced almonds. Divide the strawberries on each plate, then drizzle with a generous tablespoon of the vinaigrette, and more for serving if desired.
- Try honey roasted sliced almonds instead of plain, super delish!
- Use a bit more honey in the vinaigrette if you like it sweeter
- Remove the woody bottom part of each asparagus spear with a vegetable peeler
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible
This recipe was updated with new text and instructions November, 2021.