Who knew that a humble vegetable like cauliflower could taste downright sinful? This Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower with Pesto Yogurt is savory and bright and amazingly delicious all at the same time…
I’m SO in hibernation mode right now it’s ridiculous.
Like, going to bed alarmingly early, sleeping in late, and being generally lazy when I am awake 🙂
And I don’t feel guilty about it, either.
On wintry days like this, it’s best to just surrender and turn on the oven for something indulgent like Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower.
I can hear you saying “yeah, right” all the way from here.
Can’t we just make these chocolate chip cookies instead?
Strange things can happen when you feel rested.
For example, I busted out my watercolors and painted a few postcards just for fun.
Then there was an outing downtown where I walked around like a zombie with glazed eyes and wide-open mouth for about two hours.
I came home exhausted with a bag of crazy-shaped pasta and kitchen gadgets I don’t need.
Cauliflower is surprisingly tasty and versatile, and if you aren’t on the bandwagon with it yet, you should be.
This cheesy roasted version is nothing like the frozen stuff you boil in the bag with fluorescent cheese sauce.
Tips for Making Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower with Pesto Yogurt
- Yes, a whole head of cauliflower is scary, but it’s easier than it looks 🙂
- Try the colored varieties out now for fun! Same flavor, looks nice too.
- Just trim off the bottom leaves and stem, cut in half and into bite-sized florets.
- Olive oil, cheese and some time in the oven yields an amazingly tasty result.
Roasting transforms vegetables like cauliflower into something new altogether. The cool contrast of plain yogurt spiked with pesto and fresh lemon served alongside is amazing.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower With Pesto Yogurt
- PREP THE CAULIFLOWER
- 3 small heads Cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil, with 2 tablespoons reserved
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated Plus more for serving
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon, fresh, cut in wedges for serving
- FOR THE PESTO YOGURT
- 1/3 cup Yogurt, greek style, plain
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Pesto, prepared, store-bought
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- Heat oven to 450 degrees, and position rack to lower third of oven.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Trim the cauliflower, removing and discarding the stems. Reserve the florets, cutting the larger pieces in half.
- Combine the cauliflower, the olive oil minus 2 tablespoons you'll use later, the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss everything together to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking tray and distribute in a single layer across the baking sheet.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and in sections, carefully turn the cauliflower over with a large spatula. Drizzle the reserved 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the cauliflower and carefully scoot everything to the middle of baking pan, keeping in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and return to the oven for 6-8 minutes until the cheese is a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with the pesto yogurt sauce, more Parmesan cheese, the fresh parsley and the lemon for squeezing on top just prior to eating.
- I always use parchment paper instead of foil, and I prefer the natural variety 🙂
- If you can't find tri-color cauliflower, just use regular.
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible
SOURCE: Studio Delicious