Fresh Berry Crepes with Whipped Ricotta Cheese are delicious for brunch or dessert, and they look fabulous too. This sweet crepes recipe features fresh berries and ricotta and is finished with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Where did the water come from that is being soaked up by my kitchen rug? Why haven’t my contact lens arrived in the mail? Why is the thing not taking my password? Where is that gift certificate from Christmas?
These things drive me crazy.
Spending time tracking it down is highly annoying to say the least.
So, I had this idea about fresh berry crepes, the kind that are blintz-like with soft whipped cheese and berries on top.
This would be a good time to tell you I’d never made crepes before, and didn’t want any trouble.
Next question was – are they dessert crepes? Brunch crepes? Could you eat them for breakfast too? Warm or cold?
There are days when nothing is easy.
The quick answer is yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.
Turns out crepes are no more difficult than making a regular old pancake.
Another mystery solved.
After a quick test run, I ate these crepes every which way but standing on my head. I’d testify in a court of law they were very good.
They’re impressive looking too, a nice little bonus.
I was surprised how well they held up a day later, stored in the fridge and assembled just before eating.
Here’s another trick: brush your non-stick pan with melted butter in between each crepe – and place a tablespoon of batter at a time in a small circular motion in the middle of the pan.
These babies cook fast.
And please give up on the idea that they need to look perfect. Each crepe is unique, with its own special personality 🙂
Fresh Berry Crepes with Whipped Ricotta
- 2 Eggs, large
- 6 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 tablespoon Brandy or Cognac
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest, fresh
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 tbsp Melted butter to cook the crepes
- 16 ounces Ricotta, fresh 2 cups
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Zest, freshly grated
- Pinch Salt
- 2 cups Berries such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
- 2 tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Powdered Sugar, for serving
- MAKE THE CREPES
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until completely smooth. Transfer to a container with a handle and pour spout, like a Pyrex 2 cup liquid glass measuring cup.
- Heat an 8" non-stick skillet on medium high heat and brush with melted butter.
- Working quickly, spoon 3 tablespoons or so of the crepe batter in the pan, making a circle with the batter in the middle, and filling in gaps with a little bit more batter. Tilt the pan and cook until set, about 1 1/2 minutes or when the outside edges look a bit dry.
- Carefully flip using an non-stick spatula and continue cooking for another 30 seconds or so. Place crepes on wax paper with the crepe folded in half until ready to fill. Makes about eight crepes.
- PREPARE THE WHIPPED RICOTTA
- Using a food processor or hand held mixer, place all ingredients together and process until light and smooth. Taste and add more sugar if you like it a little sweeter.
- PREPARE THE MIXED FRESH BERRIES
- Place the berries in bowl and drizzle with the maple syrup. Carefully fold together until all the berries are coated.
- To assemble, fold each crepe in half and spoon about a 1/4 cup of the whipped ricotta mixture inside, then fold in half again. Place them on a large platter, or portion 2 of them on smaller plates to make four servings.
- Spoon the berries over the top, and garnish with powdered sugar.
- This recipe was updated in December 2019
Source: Studio Delicious