How about a smooth, delicious recipe for Hot Chocolate Without Dairy? Not too sweet, this warm drink is really satisfying with a rich chocolate flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I drink hot chocolate at least one night a week, no matter the time of year. I believe in this comforting ritual with all my heart. After all, there are no rules about things like this, so why not have some of my Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies too?
- Non-dairy milk goes in this recipe, and it’s creamy and rich, just like in a coffee shop.
- Skip the pre-made hot cocoa mix! This is an easy recipe to make on snow days in winter months, and tastes far superior. Who doesn’t want a hot drink of creamy hot chocolate on a cold winter day?
- Use any vegan milk you’d like! Almond, coconut, oat….any of these are good dairy-free options. This tastes just like classic hot chocolate, maybe better. 🙂
- There’s no white sugar in this recipe, and we use regular or unsweetened almond milk.
- An easy vegan option is to use non-dairy whipped topping or vegan marshmallows to finish this warm drink off before serving.
- It’s quick and no fuss…this dark chocolate recipe is made from scratch in just a small saucepan on the stove top.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Almond Milk: I absolutely LOVE toasted coconut almond milk for it’s thick consistency and flavor, (not sponsored) but whole milk can be used if you’d like.
- Whipped Cream: Totally optional, though either whipped cream OR marshmallows are mandatory 🙂 I use a dairy-free whipped topping that comes in a tub in the freezer section of grocery stores.
- Coconut Sugar: This gives us a deep, rich flavor, and is a pretty main-stream ingredient these days for people who avoid added sugar. Note! This hot chocolate recipe has a faint hint of nutty coconut flavor, but not much at all.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Just the regular powdered stuff that comes in a can.
- Pinch of Cinnamon, Pinch of Salt: Both HUGE flavor-boosters, so don’t skip them.
- Vanilla: Make sure to use pure vanilla extract (not imitation) as it adds a special sweetness you can’t get from anything else.
For the full recipe, please scroll down to the recipe card below. Here’s all you do:
- Pour the milk into a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Add in the cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt too
- Whisk, whisk, whisk
- Add the vanilla extract
- Pour the hot chocolate into a mug, top with whipped cream chopped chocolate
Now go sit on the couch 🙂
Expert Tips and Serving Ideas
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness up or down with more coconut sugar. Start by adding a 1/2 teaspoon at a time.
- Add more cocoa powder for a stronger chocolate flavor, adding 1/4 teaspoon at a time.
- No whipped cream? Have a few (vegan) marshmallows instead!
- It’s a shame to have any hot cocoa drink without something to go with it….Try this Lemon Shortbread for starters, or go totally crazy and have some of these absolutely delicious White Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispy Treats.
- Might be a good idea to start with dinner first 🙂 Some cozy choices are this easy and amazing Taco Pie with Crescent Rolls, Citrus Chicken Thighs (maybe add a salad too) or a Shredded Chicken Burrito Bowl!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Try whole or reduced-fat milk, oat milk, coconut. hemp or soy milk in this recipe.
Try light or dark brown sugar, date sugar, honey, maple syrup, or even regular granulated sugar in this recipe.
Sure can! You can triple it or quadruple it too.
Decorated Chocolate Covered Strawberries: A reader favorite, these are as pretty as they are delicious!
White Chocolate Popcorn: Decadent and fun for gifting, delish too!
Maple Roasted Squash with Goat Cheese: This side dish is amazing, and easy to make!
Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Yogurt Sauce: An all-time favorite recipe!
White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups: So cute, so tasty!
If you’ve tried this Non Dairy Hot Chocolate Recipe, or any other recipe on Studio Delicious, please rate the recipe and & I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Looking for more tips and fresh, homemade recipes? Join my email list, tag and follow me on Instagram using #studiodeliciouseats, follow my boards on Pinterest, and see what I’m up to on Facebook and Twitter!
Non Dairy Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whipped Cream, for serving
- Shaved Chocolate for garnish, optional
- In a medium saucepan, add the almond and turn the burner on medium high heat.
- Add the cocoa powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon and sea salt
- Whisk the ingredients together to combine, continuing to heat on medium high the mixture heats through. It'll be smooth and a bit frothy.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract, whisk to combine. Pour into a mug and add whipped cream or marshmallows and shaved chocolate, if you like.
- Use plain, vanilla or toasted coconut almond milk.
- Regular milk is fine to use too.
- Add more coconut sugar if you like it sweeter, just start with adding 1/2 teaspoon at a time to taste.
- I use a non-dairy natural whipped topping that’s usually available in the freezer section of well-stocked grocery stores.
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible
This recipe was updated with new text and instructions July and December, 2021