This easy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta dinner is full of flavor and plump sun dried tomatoes, white meat chicken, pasta and fresh herbs. Delicious every time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
A delicious pasta dinner that’s made in one skillet is a full-on miracle in my book. Aren’t we always looking for something that can be made easily with chicken, especially during the week?
This Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta is easy and tastes wonderful.
Here’s some good reasons to make it:
- If you’re wondering what to do with that same old package of chicken breasts, here’s your answer.
- Sun dried tomatoes make this meal special. That concentrated tomato flavor is perfect for pasta and chicken.
- This is a great dinner when you don’t have a lot of time, it’s ready to eat in about 30 minutes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the full list of ingredients and instructions for this tomato chicken pasta recipe, please scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Cut into strips
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: Not oil packed, and julienned if possible (Trader Joes)
- Fresh Basil: For serving
- Cream: Heavy cream or dairy free if you prefer
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated
- Pasta: Linguine or spaghetti
- Olive Oil: For browning the chicken
- Black pepper, salt: For flavor
- Oregano: Just a little of this Italian seasoning
- Shallot: More flavor
- Garlic: You guessed it, flavor!
Step-By Step Instructions
This is an easy recipe, made in one skillet. Here’s all you do:
- Cut the chicken into strips on a cutting board, cook with a little olive oil in a large casserole dish or large frying pan until it’s cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove it and set it aside while you make the sauce.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions for al dente. Save a cup of pasta water in case you need it to thin out the dish after cooking.
3. Next, add the shallots, garlic, broth, cream, cornstarch and sundried tomatoes, cook this for a couple of minutes over medium heat, then add the chicken back in.
4. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with some Parmesan cheese, fresh basil and serve!
Tips and Possible Variations
- It’s okay if the package of chicken you’re using is a bit over the one pound mark, it’ll still work fine in this recipe.
- You’ll need about 5 generous cups of cooked pasta for this recipe
- Find julienne cut sun dried tomatoes at Trader Joe’s or many grocery stores, if you can only find them whole, just slice into strips
- Use spaghetti or penne instead of linguine if you’d like
- Add a little more cream if your pasta seems on the dry side, or some reserved pasta water
- Add a little more cornstarch (a teaspoon) to make a slurry (cornstarch mixed with a little bit of the pan juices) and add it to the skillet if your sauce seems too thin
- Add some fresh spinach to the final dish if you’d like, and red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
- This creamy chicken pasta is wonderful for dinner with an easy appetizer like these sweet & spicy almonds and marinated olives to start.
- Serve with a great salad…this roasted pear salad would be great, so would this outstanding version of kale salad.
- For dessert, go for a homey, warm fruit crumble with vanilla ice cream, these beautiful roasted nectarines with caramel sauce or make this really nice ice cream cake with peanut butter ganache.
Frequently Asked Questions
In an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Try spaghetti or penne to switch it up!
More Recipes to Try
- Naan BLT with sun dried tomato mayo: Just a great sandwich!
- Salsa Mix Recipe: Fresh salsa for tacos or tortilla chips!
- Ground Turkey Pasta Bake: Like lasagne in a skillet made in 30 minutes
- Baked Pasta with Chicken Sausage: A reader favorite!
- Summer Pasta: One of the most popular recipes on this blog for good reason!
- Authentic Pasta Fagioli: Comfort Food at its finest!
- Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti Recipe: A comfort food classic
- Panda Express Tofu Eggplant Recipe: An easy, delicious stir fry..
If you’ve tried Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta, or any other recipe on Studio Delicious, please rate the recipe 5 stars and tell me how you liked it in comments below!
Looking for more tips and fresh, homemade recipes? Join my email list, tag and follow me on Instagram using #studiodeliciouseats, follow my boards on Pinterest, and see what I’m up to on Facebook and Twitter!
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 8-10 ounces Linguini or spaghetti pasta About 5 cups cooked
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 small Shallot, minced fine About 2 tablespoons
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces Sun Dried Tomatoes, cut into strips (julienned)
- ½ teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 1½ cups Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon each Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Fresh Basil, for serving
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package, drain and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large casserole pan or skillet.
- Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper, then add them to the skillet on medium high heat and cook for about 7 minutes total, turning once. Chicken should be very light brown and cooked all the way through (no longer pink). Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Using the same skillet (without washing it) add the butter and olive oil and the minced shallots and cook over medium heat for one minute. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Next, add the sun dried tomatoes to the pan with the oregano, chicken broth, cream, salt and pepper, stir and heat this mixture through. In a small bowl, add the cornstarch and a spoonful or two of the sauce from the pan, mix with a fork to remove the lumps, then add it to the sun dried tomato broth/cream mixture and let it cook for a couple minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and stir. Let this simmer for a minute or two until the chicken is warmed back up. Add the cooked pasta and the Parmesan cheese, then toss the mixture together and serve with more cheese and fresh basil over the top.
- It’s okay if the packet of chicken you’re using is a bit over the one pound mark, it’ll still work fine in this recipe.
- You’ll need about 5 generous cups of cooked pasta for this recipe
- Find julienne cut sun dried tomatoes at Trader Joe’s or many grocery stores, if you can only find whole, it’s fine to slice them yourself
- Use non-dairy cream if you’d like instead of heavy cream
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible