Here’s an easy dinner idea…this Salmon Patties Recipe is full of fresh flavor and served with a creamy dill sauce on the side.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe for salmon cakes – sometimes called salmon croquettes, are quick, fresh and fabulous for every day eating. These are low-fuss, really delicious & satisfying with a simple creamy lemon dill sauce on the side.
Here’s some good reasons to make them:
- Freshly chopped salmon from a filet makes these patties super moist and flavorful.
- The patties are quickly pan-fried on medium heat which makes them extra decadent…love that golden brown crust!
- This recipe is one of those old southern classics, updated with a few fresh touches.
- Instead of tartar sauce we’ve got a lemony dill sauce with yogurt
- Instead of saltine cracker crumbs, we’ll use crushed butter crackers (like Ritz Crackers) for extra flavor
- This is a great recipe to make in smaller portions as appetizers, or for a delicious dinner or lunch with a side dish or two (see serving ideas below).
If you love this kind of recipe, be sure to bookmark this easy crab-stuffed salmon recipe for later!
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the full recipe, instructions and list of ingredients, please scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Fresh Salmon: Buy a whole filet or chopped salmon often sold for burgers at your meat and seafood counter.
- Seasonings: Keeping it classic with salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder.
- Butter Crackers: Crushed butter crackers taste great in this recipe, and take the place of bread crumbs
- Egg: One large one to bind the ingredients together
- Shallot: Grated with a hand grater or very finely chopped.
- Parsley and Dill: Fresh herbs really make these salmon cakes shine
Step-By Step Instructions
This recipe comes together easily, and cooks quick! Here’s all you do:
- Make a simple creamy dill sauce by mixing the called for ingredients together in a bowl. Keep covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Add the ingredients for the salmon mixture into a medium-sized bowl and everything together gently with (clean) hands.
3. Form the salmon mixture into four patties, or smaller if you want them for appetizers.
4. Pan fry in olive oil in a non-stick large skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through (internal temperature of 145 degrees). Tip! If making these smaller, adjust the cooking time down a minute.
5. Serve with fresh lemon wedges and creamy dill sauce.
Tips and Possible Variations
- Make these patties into salmon burgers for a delicious dinner option! Toast some soft potato buns, add thin-sliced ripe tomatoes, butter lettuce and dill sauce or thousand island dressing. Incredible and delicious with this fantastic potato salad.
- Don’t over-work the salmon mixture, just mix it until it’s combined.
- Add a little more crushed butter crackers if needed to hold the patties together, a tablespoon at a time.
- Try thinly sliced green onions – white part only – instead of shallots if you’d like
- Add a tablespoon of finely chopped green peppers to the mixture too if you’d like (or try fresh chopped red bell peppers).
- Don’t attempt using canned salmon for this recipe…finely chopped fresh salmon with the skin removed will have the best results.
- These patties are great on their own, as salmon burgers, or made smaller to serve as an appetizer.
- Make these a main meal with a fresh side dish or two like simple marinated grilled asparagus, this zesty green bean salad, or this incredible celery salad that tastes great with just about anything.
- For dessert, go old school with this very good version of Rice Krispie Treats (dipped in chocolate) or some baked cider apples with whipped cream. Also, you can’t go wrong with these Strawberry Cheesecake Bars or this classic Crispy Snickerdoodle Recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
In an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two.
Try regular or sun dried tomato pesto, thousand island dressing or plain Dijon mustard as alternatives.
More Recipes to Try
- Strawberry Cheesecake in a Jar: A favorite, easy recipe.
- Fig Prosciutto Pizza: A fabulous vehicle for fresh figs…
- Deviled Eggs with Candied Bacon: A luscious version of deviled eggs
- Turkey Burgers with Cranberry: My best turkey burger, right here
- Turkey Burger Sliders Recipe: Fun and totally delicious
If you’ve tried this Salmon Patties Recipes with Crackers, or any other recipe on Studio Delicious, please rate the recipe 5 stars and tell me how you liked it in comments below!
Looking for more tips and fresh, homemade recipes? Join my email list, tag and follow me on Instagram using #studiodeliciouseats, follow my boards on Pinterest, and see what I’m up to on Facebook and Twitter!
Salmon Patties Recipes with Crackers
- 1 pound Fresh Salmon filet, chopped into ¼" inch pieces
- ½ cup Butter crackers, crushed
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper Lemon Pepper if possible
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Shallot, grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian Parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- FOR THE DILL SAUCE
- ¼ cup Plain yogurt or no-dairy mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon Italian Parsley, chopped fine
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Fresh Lemon wedges for serving
- Add the chopped salmon to a medium-sized bowl. Crush the butter crackers by placing them in a large plastic bag and smashing them lightly with a rolling pin until fully crushed and no chunks remain. Alternatively, whiz them up in a food processor or blender. Add the crushed butter crackers to the bowl with the salmon.
- Add the beaten egg, lemon juice, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, shallot and Italian parsley, and mix with your (clean) hands just to combine. Be careful not to overmix. Form into four patties and set aside on a baking sheet. Note: If the salmon mixture is very wet and doesn't form fairly easily (they should be soft and just hold together) then add another tablespoon or two of crushed butter crackers. Just add a little at a time, too much will make the patties tough.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, turning once. (Internal temperature 145) and cooked through. Serve with fresh lemon wedges and Creamy Dill Sauce.
- CREAMY DILL SAUCE In a medium-sized bowl, combine the yogurt or non-dairy mayo if using, the lemon juice (start with one tablespoon and add more to desired consistency), Dijon mustard, fresh dill, Italian parsley, garlic powder, salt and ground pepper and whisk with a fork to combine. Serve with the salmon patties.
- Add another tablespoon of butter cracker crumbs if needed to hold the patties together.
- Fresh salmon cut from a filet is best for this recipe (don’t use canned).
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible
Please rate this recipe and thanks for leaving a comment!