Modern Carrot Salad is a riff off the classic carrot salad recipe, modernized with diced shallots, fresh citrus and dried currants, this delicious version is a keeper, and a great vegetable side dish.
Call me psychic, but I’m guessing exactly none of you are sitting around fantasizing about eating carrot salad.
Maybe you wouldn’t even consider making a carrot salad, because you remember it as a sad old potluck offering, overloaded with golden raisins, chunks of canned pineapple, white sugar, and a heavy glob of mayonnaise.
Maybe it was runny and sort of awful, and eating it felt like punishment.
You sure couldn’t taste the carrots under that mess.
With all this baggage, a carrot salad might not be your first choice for any reason, ever.
Give me a minute to make the case for this beauty.
We swap the traditional raisins for tiny, soft currants.
We add paper thin diced shallots for flavor.
Next comes a handful of chopped Italian parsley and fresh orange zest for punch and brightness.
A big, juicy vinaigrette happens after that with just-squeezed orange and lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey and a fruity olive oil.
This old potluck staple now tastes like a sophisticated and seriously delicious side dish that deserves to be added to your repertoire.
This Modern Carrot Salad makes a great side dish for Sunday dinner or any gathering, really.
I love it as a light lunch with a big slice of hot toasted sourdough bread—drizzled with plenty of olive oil, of course.
The flavors here are clean and simple, my very most favorite way to eat in the whole wide world 🙂
Don’t be afraid to give it a try!
This one is a keeper, and an earthy, satisfying addition to your late winter table.
Modern Carrot Salad
- 1 pound Carrots, grated or spiralized
- 1 tbsp Shallot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Zest, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup Currants, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, flaky sea salt
- Lemon Pepper
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 tablespoon Orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey Roasted Peanuts, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- Italian Parsley, chopped fine for garnish
- Wash, peel and rewash the carrots.
- Trim off ends of the carrots and using a Spiralizer or large box grater, grate the carrots and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the diced shallots and chopped parsley, orange zest and dried currants.Set aside.
- MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Pour the vinaigrette slowly over the carrot mixture, gently tossing the ingredients together with a large spoon to completely cover.
- Season with additional lemon pepper and salt. Add a sprinkle of chopped Italian parsley for serving.
- You can use a Spiralizer to cut the carrots instead of a box grater if you like.
- This recipe was updated in December 2019
SOURCE: Studio Delicious
Here’s another fresh salad recipe you’ll love: Superfood Salad