Modern Carrot Salad
Modern Carrot Salad is a riff off the classic carrot salad recipe, and is a great vegetable side dish
- 1/4 cup Currants, dried
- 1 cup Water, boiled
- 1 pound Carrots, organic if possible
- 1/4 cup Peanuts, salted, chopped small
- 1 1/2 tbsp Shallot, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons Italian (flat leaf) Parsley Plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Zest, freshly grated
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 tablespoon Orange Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Honey see recipe notes
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Pepper, freshly grated
For the SALAD
Place the dried currants in a stainer with a bowl underneath and pour the hot water over them Let the currants strain while you prep the carrots
Wash, peel and rewash the carrots
Trim off the ends, and peel them. Grate the carrots using the large holes of a box grater and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.Alternatively, you can use a Spiralizer for the carrots too.
Add the chopped peanuts to the bowl with the carrots
Finely dice the shallot and place it in the bowl with the carrots.
Add the chopped flat leaf parsley, fresh orange zest and dried currants.
MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
Combine all the ingredients together in a small glass bowl and whisk them together Alternatively, put the ingredients in a canning jar with a lid and shake it to combine.
Pour the vinaigrette slowly over the salad, gently tossing the ingredients together with a large spoon, using enough vinaigrette to completely coat it.
Season with a another twist of lemon pepper and a pinch of sea or flake salt, transfer to serving platter or bowl Add more flat leaf parsley for garnish if desired
- Zest the orange by using the small holes of a cheese grater
- If your vinaigrette is a little sour, just add another teaspoon or so of honey
- Leave out the peanuts if there are allergy issues
- Make this salad ahead of time and toss with the vinaigrette just before serving
- Cut the shallots very thinly, and then dice them...you want them small
- This recipe is easy to double for more people.
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 267mg | Potassium: 311mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 12742IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg