ROASTED SPRING VEGETABLES WITH VINAIGRETTE
Roasted Spring Vegetables with Vinaigrette are an easy, healthy side dish to make on a sheet pan. They and look and taste amazing served with a fresh lemon vinaigrette.
Prep Time15 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 1 pound asparagus Trim off and remove several inches of the bottom woody stem with a knife, then shave the bottom 2-3" of the outside of each stem with a vegetable peeler
- 2 bunches radishes, multi-color or red Use red or multi-colored radish, washed with leaves and tips removed. Cut in half, and if large - quarters about 1/2" size
- 1 pound watermelon radish or purple daikon Wash and remove ends. Cut in half, then half again into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb Remove stalks and bottom stem. Cut in half and then half again, then quarter and slice into 1/2" long pieces
- 1 large shallot slice thinly lengthwise, about a 1/3 cup total
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard I use Maille Original Dijon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper I use lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
PREHEAT OVEN TO 425
Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper
FOR THE ASPARAGUS:
Place the prepared asparagus on one of the lined baking sheets. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
FOR THE RADISH AND FENNEL:
Combine the prepared radishes in a large bowl with the watermelon radish, purple daikon, fennel and shallots.
Add the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or a little more if needed to completely coat the vegetables.
Add a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher or sea salt. Toss with a large spoon or your hands to coat.
Place the radish/fennel mixture on the other parchment lined baking sheet as even and flatly as possible, then put on the lower rack of the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and gently turn the vegetables over with a spatula.
Return the radishe/fennel mixture to the oven on the lower rack, and also place the baking sheet of asparagus on the middle middle rack of the oven and continue baking both for 15 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet with the radish mixture and gently toss and turn the vegetables once more with a spatula. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and another light drizzle of olive oil and return it to the oven for another 10 minutes.
Total roasting time is approximately 55 minutes, but it can vary depending on your oven. The vegetables are done when they are fork tender and a little blistered in appearance.
To Serve, transfer the asparagus to the serving tray or plates first, then top with the radish and fennel. Use some of the fennel leaves for garnish, if desired. Serve with the vinaigrette alongside to drizzle over the top.
MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake to combine.
Taste and adjust with a bit more salt if needed.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 830mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 957IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 4mg