Summer Fruit Crisp
Summer Fruit Crisp is everything you want in a dessert and celebrates the flavors of the summer season
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
- FOR THE FRUIT FILLING
- 6 cups Summer Fruits such as nectarines, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries in any combination to total 6 cups. See Recipe Notes
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Flour, all-purpose, unbleached
- 3 tablespoons Sugar or more if fruit is too tart
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- 1 1/2 cups Flour, all-purpose, unbleached
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt see recipe note
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 2 Butter, cold, unsalted and cut into pieces
Heat the oven to 350
Prepare a large pie dish (9.5") or other oven-safe baking dish by buttering the inside. You'll also need a large baking sheet to set the crisp on.
Place all the fruit in a large bowl
Add the vanilla, the flour, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice, and toss together carefully using a large wooden spoon.
Spoon the mixture into the baking dish, and sprinkle on 2 1/2 cups of the topping as noted below.
In a food processor, combine the flour, sugars, cinnamon, sea salt, oatmeal and butter. Process in the pulse mode until combined and the mixture lumps together. Note: This makes about 5 cups of crumb topping. Use 2 1/2 cups for this recipeFreeze the remaining topping in a plastic bag or freezer-safe container. The topping is good for at least 60 days, and can be used straight out of the freezer. Place the fruit crisp on a large baking sheet on the lower third of the oven Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the topping is light brown and crisp on the edges.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- For the fruits, cut the stone fruits such as nectarines into 1" cubes.
- Please also remove the pits from the stone fruits, such as cherries, and larger berries like strawberries should be cut in half.
- Stone fruits and also berries work the best this recipe. Don't use melons, they are too watery for this dessert.
- I use Diamond Crystal Kosher salt
- This recipe was updated December 2019
Calories: 520kcal | Carbohydrates: 124g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 218mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 85g | Vitamin A: 716IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 3mg