Pizza In Cast Iron
An easy, absolutely delicious deep dish pizza pie with a crispy crust!
- 1 package Prepared Pizza Crust (store bought) about 12 ounces
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for serving
- 1 pound Chicken Sausage, bulk
- 1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes, drained
- ¾ cup Prepared pizza sauce
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 2 tablespoons Basil leaves, chopped, fresh
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, low moisture style, grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated, plus more for serving
- Bring your prepared pizza dough up to room temperature about 30 minutes before you start the recipe. I use a small bowl with some olive oil in it to prevent sticking.
- If you aren't using fresh herbs, a good tip is one tablespoon of fresh herbs is roughly equivalent to one teaspoon of dried herbs.
- Be sure to use low-moisture mozzarella cheese, but not the skim or no-fat kind. Two things: if you use a fresh mozzarella packaged in brine, your pizza crust will be soggy. This is bad. And if you use skim or no-fat mozzarella, well, lets just say your pizza will not be as melty and delicious as it was meant to be :)
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 1426mg | Potassium: 108mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 561IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 186mg | Iron: 2mg