California Fig Banana Bread Recipe
Banana Bread was never so figgy! Moist and flavorful with a creamy luscious cream cheese frosting
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
- Makes one 8 inch loaf
- 2 cups Flour, unbleached all-purpose 10 ounces
- 3/4 cup Sugar 5 1/4 ounces
- 1 cup California Figs, Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun Made. Stemmed and chopped in 1/4" pieces. 6 ounces
- 3 Bananas, mashed to make 1 1/2 cups
- 6 tablespoons Butter, unsalted, melted and cooled
- 2 Eggs, large
- 1/4 cup Yogurt, plain
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Macadamia nuts, chopped toasted
- For the LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 package Cream cheese, softened 8 ounce package
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon zest, freshly grated
- 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
Heat oven to 350 degreesAdjust oven rack to lower middle position.
Prep an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking/baking spray. See recipe notes.
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl, Add the dried figs and mix together with a large spoon.
In a separate large bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together.
Fold the banana mixture gently into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not over mix) Fold in the macadamia nuts. The batter will look thick and chunky.
Scrape the batter with a spatula into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking.
Cool the loaf in the pan for ten (10) minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to let cool completely before frosting, about 2 hours.
Make the LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
Combine the softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract and mix with a hand mixer in a medium sized bowl until smooth and completely combined, 2-3 minutes.
Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest, continue to mix for another minute until combined.
Add the powdered sugar in stages, starting at 2 cups, mixing in each addition until smooth and combined.
TIP: You'll need at least 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar to make a fairly stiff frosting, and possibly a little more.
- If the cream cheese frosting is too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar and stir well to combine and remove any lumps.
- You can line your baking tin with natural parchment paper for easy removal. Spray the bottom of the baking tin with cooking/baking spray, then the parchment paper so it sticks to the tin, then more baking spray before adding the batter.
- You don't have to frost this Banana Bread recipe with the cream cheese frosting if you don't want to. Its fabulous on its on or in the toaster with butter.
- This recipe was updated in November 2019.
Calories: 661kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 232mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 65g | Vitamin A: 851IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 2mg