Take store-bought Nori sheets, frozen shrimp tempura, creamy avocado and sushi rice and make some easy, flavorful crunchy sushi rolls at home, no bamboo mat needed.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
What follows is a very good shrimp tempura roll sushi appetizer that’s easy to make, impressive looking, and totally delicious!
Here’s a few good reasons to give this California Crunchy Sushi Roll Recipe a try:
- You don’t need any special equipment! No bamboo sushi mat required.
- Frozen shrimp tempura from the grocery store works perfectly in these rolls.
- There’s no raw fish in this recipe. Everything is cooked in this classic sushi roll.
- This is a popular sushi roll flavor combination that has a center of crunchy shrimp tempura.
- It’s very tasty as an appetizer, but try them for lunch or supper too.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the full recipe, list of instructions and ingredients, please scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Nori Seaweed Sheets: Nori wraps are available in well-stocked grocery stores.
- Crispy Fried Onions: The kind in the can you put on green beans at Thanksgiving.
- Avocado: For luscious creaminess.
- Frozen Shrimp Tempura: Also in well-stocked stores, two cooked crispy shrimp tempura are the perfect size for each sushi roll.
Step-By Step Instructions
- In a small bag, add the crispy fried onions and smash them with a rolling pin.
- Slice avocado lengthwise into thin strips.
- Cut one sheet of a Nori wrap in half.
- Make the seasoned sushi rice and let it cool completely.
- Bake the tempura shrimp, set it aside until ready to assemble the rolls.
6. Set a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper on your work surface. Pat the cooled rice onto the Nori sheet with the rough side up, then carefully turn it over, shiny side up. Don’t worry, it’s sticky rice, it will stay put!
Pro Tip: Have a small bowl of cold water handy to dip your fingers to keep rice from sticking to them.
7. Place a few of the avocado slices on the Nori, then two pieces of the cooked tempura shrimp side-by-side. In the photo above I placed only one shrimp on the Nori so you could clearly see the avocado placement too.
8. Use the wax or plastic paper to help you roll the sushi up. Use a little water to seal the edge of the Nori. Sprinkle crushed fried onions over the length of the entire roll.
9. Chill the rolls for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours, then slice and serve with sauce of your choice.
Tips and Possible Variations
- Be sure to use sushi rice for this recipe, it’s stickier, and holds together.
- Keep a small bowl of water handy to dip your fingers in to keep the rice off.
- Refrigerating the rolls for 15-30 minutes makes them easier to slice.
- Use toasted panko bread crumbs instead of fried onion rings for variation.
- Make a spicy mayonnaise with a few shakes of hot sauce. Or use teriyaki or soy sauce.
- Serve with other easy, make-at-home sushi, like these excellent crab sushi rolls, these fantastic Peanut Noodles with Vegetables, and these veggie avocado rolls with almond butter dipping sauce.
- Grill up some Teriyaki Chicken on a Stick, and make minis of these delightful Salmon Patties too. Don’t forget this great looking, easy veggie platter or these sun dried tomato stuffed celery snacks.
- Go for a no-stress dessert like this big, fun platter of happiness called Brownie Batter Hummus to dip with cookies, fruit and other treats.
- Another perfect dessert would be this very good Fresh Tangerine Sorbet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sorta. Prep the seasoned rice in advance, but note that these rolls are best eaten the same day they’re made.
Yes you can. Use a little water to seal the edges. 🙂
Try green, red, orange bell peppers, green onion, or crunchy cucumber cut in thin slices.
Use toasted panko bread crumbs instead. Toast in a non-stick skillet for a few minutes until golden brown, let it cool, then sprinkle over the top of the roll.
More Recipes to Try
- Lemon Shrimp Salad: A refreshing, delicious salad.
- Vegan Chickpea Salad: The perfect healthy side dish.
- Cheese Puff Pastry Bites: An easy, delicious little bite.
- Baked Brie with Fig Jam: An all-time fave appetizer.
- California Fig Banana Bread: A moist and delicious version.
- Skillet Taco Bake: A fast and easy favorite.
- How to Make Banana Bread without Butter: Just a great recipe.
If you’ve tried California Crunchy Sushi Roll Recipe, or any other recipe on Studio Delicious, please rate the recipe 5 stars and tell me how you liked it in comments below!
Looking for more tips and fresh, homemade recipes? Join my email list, tag and follow me on Instagram using #studiodeliciouseats, follow my boards on Pinterest, and see what I’m up to on Facebook and Twitter!
California Crunchy Sushi Roll Recipe
- 2 cups Sushi Rice, cooked see note
- 2½ tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar, natural or seasoned
- 1½ teaspoons Sugar
- 2 pieces Nori Seaweed Wraps, cut in half for a total of four pieces
- 1 Avocado, sliced thinly length-wise
- 8 Frozen Tempura Shrimp, Cooked to package directions
- ½ cup Fried Canned Onions, crushed
- Make the sushi rice according to package directions for 2 cups of cooked rice. Transfer the cooked rice to a large baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar and the sugar and stir until dissolved. Sprinkle it over the cooked, warm rice and toss it together, then leave it on the baking sheet to cool completely. Cook the frozen tempura shrimp according to the package directions, set aside until ready to assemble the rolls.
- Place a large piece of wax or plastic wrap on a flat work surface with two of the Nori seaweed wraps, shiny side down, rough side up. Set a small bowl of water nearby to dip your fingers into to prevent the rice from sticking. Spread ½ cup or so of the rice on in an even layer over the Nori Sheet. Repeat with the other Nori Sheet, dipping your fingers into the cool water as needed.
- Carefully turn the sheets over, rice side down on the work surface (don't worry, the rice won't fall off). Place two or three pieces of sliced avocado across the Nori sheet and then two pieces of the cooked tempura shrimp side-by-side on top of the avocado pieces.
- Lift the plastic wrap up over the lower edge of the roll, and use it to help you roll the sushi, pressing to shape it as you roll. Dab a little water on the final edge of the wrap to help it seal and hold together. Peel back the plastic, and repeat with the other rolls.
- Crush the canned fried onions with a rolling pin, divide and sprinkle over the tops of the rolls. Can be served immediately, or chilled for up to 2 hours before slicing and serving.
- Be sure to use sushi rice for this recipe, it’s stickier to hold everything together.
- Keep a small bowl of water handy to dip your fingers in to if needed to keep rice off.
- Refrigerating the rolls for 15-30 minutes makes them easier to slice.
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible