Simple Celery Salad
A refreshing, delicious way to use up extra celery in the fridge!
- 4 stalks Celery, tough exteriors removed, sliced thinly at an angle See recipe notes
- 2 tbsp Celery leaves See recipe notes
- 1/4 cup Hazelnuts, toasted, lightly chopped or crushed See recipe notes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved thinly See recipe notes
- 2 tbsp Italian Parsley, roughly chopped Plus more for garnish
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Flaky Sea Salt
- 1/3 tsp Honey
Use a medium-sized bowl to compile this salad.
Remove the tough, stringy exteriors of the celery leaves with a vegetable peeler, add to the bowl
Chop enough of the leafy celery leaves from the center of the celery bunch for about 2 tablespoons, add to the bowl
Lightly crush the hazelnuts lightly with the bottom of heavy jar or a meat mallet, add to the bowl (unless making in advance, in which case, add just before serving)
Shave the Parmesan cheese, add to the bowl
Chop the Italian Parsley, add to the bowl
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
Add the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, pepper, salt and honey to a small jar and shake very well until combined. Alternatively, put all the vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. TO SERVE: Add the vinaigrette together with the salad ingredients and lightly toss to combine. Let the whole mixture sit together in the bowl for 15 minutes, then lightly toss again and serve.
- You can buy Oven Roasted and Unsalted Oregon Hazelnuts at Trader Joe's.
- Lightly crush the hazelnuts with a jar or heavy-bottomed glass or meat mallet.
- For the Parmesan cheese, use a vegetable peeler and lightly shave into thin strips to make a 1/4 cup.
- Reserve some of the leafy pieces of celery from the middle of the bunch to chop and add to the salad bowl. The leaves have a lot of great flavor, and look pretty on the plate, too.
- This refreshing salad is super compatible with any protein cooked on a grill, as well as roasted meats or baked fish, and it stays fresh in the fridge overnight - just add the hazelnuts just before serving.
Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 889mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 860IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 1mg