Summer Pasta is a tasty, meatless recipe that relies on simple, fresh ingredients like cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs and mozzarella. Quick & Easy too!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Shallot, diced
- 4 cups Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Butter, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons Basil, fresh, torn in small pieces
- 1 cup Mozzarella, fresh, torn in pieces
- 9 ounce Spaghetti, fresh or dried, about 5 cups cooked
- Olive Oil, for serving
Add the olive oil and diced shallot to a large non-stick saute pan and cook on medium-high heat until soft, 3-5 minutes. Then add the cherry tomatoes and gently stir to combineCook until the tomatoes break down and release their juices, about 4-5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook on medium-high heat until the mixture is soft and juicy, another 5-7 minutes. Add the lemon juice and butter, and stir gently to combine. Continue cooking for another minute or two. Keep the sauce warm with a lid on the saute pan on very low heat. Cook pasta according package directions, adding a generous teaspoon of salt to the water before adding the pasta. Before draining, reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water and set it aside to loosen up the pasta and sauce once you combine them together. Add the drained pasta to the saute pan with the tomato sauce, adding a little pasta water as needed. Gently toss everything together until combined. Remove the pan from the stove. Add the torn mozzarella and fresh basil leaves and a pinch more salt and pepper. Divide on four plates and drizzle olive oil on top for serving.
- My everyday salt is Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt. I buy a big box and keep what I need in a small canning jar in the cupboard.
- Fresh, refrigerated pasta works great in this recipe, but any long variety of dried pasta works well too.
- Leftovers are VERY good cold or reheated for lunch the next day :)
- I love to serve this alongside salmon or other grilled fish, a chicken breast or add cooked shrimp to the pasta for a twist!
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 776mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1103IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 2mg