Cherry Oatmeal really scales up your morning breakfast game with delicious cherry almond flavor and a dollop of vanilla yogurt too
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 10-12 ounce cherries Organic, frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups oatmeal Cooked according to package directions
- 4 tablespoons Vanilla yogurt for serving
- 4 tablespoons Sliced almonds for serving
Make Oatmeal according to the package directions.
For the cherries, melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the honey, cinnamon, lemon juice and the bag of frozen cherries.
Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and let it simmer for 6-10 minutes until it has a syrupy consistency and the frozen cherries have become soft and released their juices.
Remove from heat and add the almond extract, stirring to combine. Cool the mixture for about 10 minutes, then divide the cherry compote on top of the hot prepared oatmeal or other grains.
Top with a heaping spoonful of vanilla yogurt and a sprinkle of sliced almonds.
- Use whatever type of Oatmeal you like, and prepare it according to the package directions.
- This recipe is for 4 servings, but you can flex this amount up or down.
- The Cherry compote keeps well when covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Eight grain hot cereal is a really delicious option instead of oatmeal if you like.
- If you want a sweeter cherry compote, add more honey while the mixture is still warm.
- You can substitute pure vanilla extract for almond extract if you like.
- Add a pinch of salt to the cherry compote if desired, to round out the flavors
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 451mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 81IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3mg