Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
These cute chocolate covered rice krispie treats have white melted chocolate and fun candies on top, great for any occasion!
- 6 tablespoons Butter, unsalted plus more for bowl and baking sheet
- 16 ounces Marshmallows
- ¼ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt Diamond Crystal
- 7 cups Crispy Rice Cereal
- 4 ounces White Chocolate, like Ghiradelli's
- ½ cup Candy, for decoration Sun Drops or M&M's
Prepare a 9x13" baking sheet or pan by lining it with parchment paper that's been smeared with a little softened butter to prevent sticking. Butter the inside of a large bowl the same way. This will prevent sticking when you combine the cereal and the melted marshmallow mixture in the bowl. In a medium non-stick saucepan, melt the 6 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows, turn up the heat to medium high, and stir until the marshmallows are mostly melted. Don't overheat....remove the pan from the heat before the marshmallows are completely melted, you'll still see some shape to them, and the mixture will not be completely smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract and the salt. Add the crispy rice cereal to the large bowl that you've buttered the insides of. Now pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the top of the cereal, scraping any remaining mixture into the bowl with a spatula. Using your (buttered, clean) hands or a silicone spatula or spoon, carefully and gently toss the mixture together, starting at the bottom and bringing it to the top, making sure the cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture. While it's still warm, transfer the mixture to the prepared 9x13" baking sheet or pan, and gently pat the mixture in, just enough to hold it in place. Don't press it down!
Let this cool for 15 minutes, then carefully cut into approximately 30 2-inch squares. You'll need to score or cut these while they are still a little warm, but keep them in the pan to set up and cook for another 15 minutes or so. You can use your knife again to make a cleaner slice after they've cooled a bit longer.
To melt the chocolate for dipping, in a medium-sized saucepan heat a couple of inches of water to a simmer, not boiling. Place the chocolate in the bowl inside a medium glass bowl that will fit inside the saucepan without letting the bowl touch the simmering water. Stir occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Pull the chocolate off the heat just before it's fully melted, and keep stirring. It will continue to melt from the residual heat. Dip the ends of the treats into the melted chocolate, then transfer to a cooling rack. Place chocolate candies on top of the melted chocolate, then let them cool. To place candies in the middle of the treats, dab a dime-sized amount of chocolate where you want it as "glue", then place the candy on top and let it cool. Enjoy!
- You'll need additional butter to smear butter inside the bowl you'll put the cereal in before you add the melted marshmallows. This will keep the mixture from sticking to the bowl.
- You'll also need a bit of softened butter to smear on the baking sheet before placing the mixed treats on the sheet (that's been lined with parchment paper.)
- Be sure to pour the melted marshmallows over the cereal in the bowl. Don't pour the cereal into the melted marshmallows. Makes a big difference in texture, b/c the rice will get soft if you do it this way and will taste stale immediately.
- Don't fully melt the marshmallows....pull them off the heat before they fully melt for best results. If the marshmallow gets overheated, the sugar crystallizes ad makes the treats stiffer, hard to bite in to.
- Use cupcake liners to display the treats on a platter, they look much nicer than without them.
- When transferring the treats to the prepare baking sheet, don't push the treats into the pan....just a light pat to get them into place. Otherwise, the treats will be dense and hard.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 17mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 79IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg