Brownie Batter Hummus
A sweet hummus that's healthy-ish and delicious!
- 1 15 ounce can Chickpeas, drained
- 1/3 cup Tahini
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 tablespoons Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons Grated Chocolate, for garnish
- 2 cups Cookies or sweet biscuits, for serving
- 2 cups Fresh Fruits, for serving
Drain the chickpeas and rinse them in a colander (strainer) in cool water. Transfer to a clean dish towel, pat them dry and then gently rub the towel on them to remove the thin outside skin of the chickpeas, discard the skins and place the chickpeas in a small saucepan with 1/2 cup water. Cook the chickpeas on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes until the water is mostly evaporated, then transfer to a food processor. Add the tahini, maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and almond milk and process until the mixture is smooth. Taste and make it a little sweeter if you like by adding a tablespoon at a time of the maple syrup. If the sweetness is fine but the mixture is too thick, add a teaspoon at a time of the almond milk. You want the consistency of fudgy brownie batter, so be carefull adding additional liquid, you dont want it too thin!
Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight in an airtight container.
Serve on a platter with an assortment of cookies, biscuits and fruits.
- Note that the nutrition information is for the chocolate hummus only, and the recipe makes approximately 2 1/2 cups.
- If the hummus is too thick, just add a little more almond milk, a teaspoon at a time. Too much and your hummus will be too thin.
- To make it sweeter, add a little more maple syrup, a tablespoon at time. The same rule applies - too much and the final product will be too thin, so go slow and remember this recipe isn't intended to be overly sweet!
- You could rightfully call this "brownie batter hummus" as it tastes practically the same!
Calories: 132kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 180mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1mg