MELON WITH ICE CREAM AND CARAMEL SAUCE
Melon with Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce is an easy and refreshing warm weather treat your friends and family will absolutely love!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- Serves 4
- 2 medium sized cantaloupe
- 4 1/2 cup scoops vanilla ice cream or nut milk ice cream
- Caramel Sauce
- About 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves optional garnish
- FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
PREPARE THE MELONS
Cut each melon in half and remove the seeds with a spoon
Scoop vanilla ice cream (or nut milk, if using) in the center of each melon half
Spoon 2 tablespoons (or more, if you'd like) of caramel sauce over the melon and ice cream, and garnish with fresh basil (if desired).
PREPARE THE CARAMEL SAUCE
Combine honey, water, sugar in a medium sized nonstick saucepan, and stir with a wooden spoon on medium high heat until everything is dissolved
Continue cooking on medium as the mixture comes to the boil, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until deep golden brown, about 5-6 minutes
Remove pan from the heat and using a whisk, add the cream, butter, salt and vanilla (careful, it may splatter a little) and continue whisking until combined.
Cool the caramel for 10-15 minutes before serving, or keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- You can use other varieties of melon, but honeydew and watermelon might be too sweet and too watery, respectively.
- No time to make the caramel sauce? Buy a good quality salted caramel sauce at the grocery store! Just scoop some in a heatproof bowl and microwave until it's soft enough to pour
- Note the nutrition calculation here is for full-fat vanilla ice cream. This will vary depending on the brand and type of ice cream or nut milk ice cream you use.
- Leftover caramel sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to a month. Be sure to seal it securely - I use a small Ball canning jar with a lid.
- This recipe for Melon with Ice Cream and Salted Caramel Sauce was originally published 8/12/2018 and has been updated.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 513kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 255mg | Potassium: 891mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 69g | Vitamin A: 10224IU | Vitamin C: 102mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg