Cornmeal Pancakes With Strawberry Jam
Cornmeal Pancakes with Strawberry Jam are beyond delicious with zero refined flour or sugar, and a quick homemade strawberry jam
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
- CORNMEAL PANCAKES
- 1 cup Masa Harina
- 1/2 cup Flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, kosher
- 2 Eggs, large
- 3 tablespoons Oil, neutral like grapeseed or vegetable
- 2 tablespoons Honey or Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 cup Milk, 2 %
- Maple syrup for serving optional
- Almond butter for serving optional
- Creme Fraiche or Vanilla Yogurt for serving optional
- STRAWBERRY JAM
- 2 cups Frozen Strawberries
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice plus zest 1 large lime
- 6 tablespoons Maple syrup, pure
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoons Chia Seeds
MAKE THE PANCAKES
Preheat oven to 200 degrees
Stir together in a medium-sized bowl the masa harina, flour, baking soda, and kosher salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, honey or maple syrup, Greek yogurt and milk.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then stir to gently combine until the batter comes together and is pourable but slightly lumpy. Note: You can add a bit more milk if the batter is too thick.
Heat a large non-stick griddle or skillet over medium-low heat, then brush the skillet with butter or oil.
Scoop a scant 1/3 cup of batter onto the griddle and repeat to make 4 pancakes. Cook for several minutes until a few of the bubbles that appear on the surface have burst and the bottoms are golden brown, adjusting the heat as necessary. Flip the pancake carefully, then cook for another minute or so until golden brown on the other side. Place the cooked pancakes on a baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Add a splash of milk to the remaining batter to loosen it, then repeat for the remaining pancakes, adjusting the heat as necessary since the griddle can become very hot.
Serve warm with maple syrup, almond butter, Strawberry Lime Chia Jam (recipe follows) or creme fraiche or yogurt.
MAKE THE STRAWBERRY JAM
Place the strawberries, lime juice and 2 tablespoons water in a non-stick medium-sized skillet. Simmer the ingredients over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Halfway through the simmering time, begin to break down the berries by smashing them with a fork into a chunky but uniform texture. Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, chia seeds, and lime zest until combined, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat. Let the jam sit in the pan for 5-7 minutes until the chia seeds thicken the jam. Transfer to a 16-ounce canning jar and refrigerate; the texture will set even further when chilled.
This recipe was updated December 2019
- Masa Harina can be found in the international foods aisle in most grocery stores, or online. Do not substitute cornmeal.
- For gluten free, use gluten-free flour.
- For the Strawberry Lime Chia Jam, it can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks (chia jam is not shelf stable)
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 256mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 96IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 2mg