Fresh Banana Cake
Fresh Banana Cake has old fashioned flavor and is made from scratch, and it's easy to make! The fresh banana flavor tastes incredible with cream cheese frosting too
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 1 Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, dark brown
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs, large at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups Flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 cup Oats, rolled, not instant
- 1 cup Bananas, ripe, mashed
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 stick Butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest, freshly grated
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- Pecans, toasted, chopped for dusting on the frosted cake (about 1/3 cup)
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 13 x 9" pan with baking spray (alternatively, use two 8" non-stick cake pans)
Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl using an electric hand held mixer for 4 minutes until fluffy. Alternatively, use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
Add the eggs one at a time, blending each time just until incorporated
In a small side bowl, dissolve the baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla into the buttermilk and stir to combine. Add this to the egg/butter/sugar mixture.
Add the flour a 1/2 cup at a time, plus the cinnamon, and stir gently just to combine.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the oats with the mashed bananas, beat on low with the electric hand mixer until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the oats and mashed bananas to the cake mixture and continue to mix on low for another 30 seconds to combine all the ingredients.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
In a medium sized bowl with electric hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese until very smooth, about 3 minutes on high. Scrape down the sides occasionally with a rubber spatula ocassionally.
Sift the confectioners sugar into the bowl, continue mixing for another 3 minutes
Add the lemon zest and juice and vanilla extract, beat for another minute or so until completely smooth.
Chill the frosting in fridge until cake is completely coolFrost the cake and serveTop with Candied Nuts if desired - see recipe notes
- This recipe can be made in two 8" cake pans or an 8 x 13" square pan
- A recipe for Candied Nuts can be found in this Pan Roasted Pear Salad recipe
- You can find superfine sugar in most grocery stores, called Bakers Sugar.
- Let the parchment paper hang off the sides of your baking pan before filling it with the batter. When the cake is totally cool, remove by lifting it right out with both hands.
- This recipe was updated January 2020
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 341mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 48g | Vitamin A: 579IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg