Fresh Banana Cake
Fresh Banana Cake has old fashioned flavor and is made from scratch, and it's easy to make! The fresh banana flavor tastes incredible with cream cheese frosting too
- 1 Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, dark brown
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs, large at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups Flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 cup Oats, rolled, not instant
- 1 cup Bananas, ripe, mashed
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 stick Butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest, freshly grated
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- Pecans, toasted, chopped for dusting on the frosted cake (about 1/3 cup)
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 13 x 9" pan with baking spray, line with natural parchment paper, then spray with more baking spray just before adding the cake batter.
Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl using an electric hand held mixer for 4 minutes until fluffy. Alternatively, use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
Add the eggs one at a time, blending each time just until incorporated
In a small side bowl, dissolve the baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla into the buttermilk and stir to combine. Add this to the egg/butter/sugar mixture. Add the flour a 1/2 cup at a time, and stir gently just to combine. Add the cinnnamon too, and stir to combine. In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the oats with the mashed bananas together, and beat on low with the electric hand mixer until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the oats and mashed bananas to the cake mixture and mix on low for another 30 seconds just to combine all the ingredients.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
In a medium sized bowl with electric hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese until very smooth, about 3 minutes on high. Scrape down the sides occasionally with a rubber spatula.
Sift the confectioners sugar into the bowl, continue mixing for another 3 minutes or so until smooth.
Add the lemon zest and juice and vanilla extract, beat for another minute or so until completely smooth.
Chill the frosting in fridge until cake is completely coolFrost the cake and serveTop with Candied Nuts if desired - see recipe notes
- This recipe can also be made in two 8" cake pans or an 8 x 13" square pan
- You can find superfine sugar in most grocery stores, it's in a milk carton container called "Bakers Sugar"
- Let the parchment paper hang off the sides of your baking pan before filling it with the batter. When the cake is totally cool, remove by lifting it right out with both hands.
- If you don't feel like making the caramelized nuts, you can buy candied nuts at the grocery store and chop them for similar delicious results.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 341mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 48g | Vitamin A: 579IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg