Here’s a really tasty and warming soup- this Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup Slow Cooker recipe can be ready for dinner tonight!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Few things are more welcome that a hot bowl of homemade soup. Especially one that’s been bubbling away in the slow cooker, ready and willing right when you need it.
Here’s a few good reasons to try it:
- This is hands-off cooking! Just a few easy steps to assemble the ingredients and the slow cooker does all the work.
- This soup can be spicier if you want it to be, and creamier too. See my tips below.
- This recipe makes a good amount of soup in the ol’ crock pot, so it’s great for tailgating (use small mugs to feed a crowd and serve with tortilla strips or chips) or as meal prep for busy weeknights.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the full recipe and list of ingredients, please scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Chicken Breasts: These get pulled out of the slow cooker and shredded, then put back in the soup.
- Corn: Frozen works fine.
- Enchilada Sauce: Just a jar of store-bought sauce.
- Garlic: For deep flavor.
- Black Beans: Two cans, rinsed and drained.
- Onion: A large yellow onion, chopped.
- Bell Pepper: Green is the best in this recipe.
- Green Chilis: Canned, chopped.
- Diced Tomatoes: For richness and flavor.
Step-By Step Instructions
- Start by doing a quick saute of the onions, bell peppers, green chili, garlic and seasonings. Then add it to the slow cooker with the beans, corn, tomatoes, a jar of store-bought enchilada sauce and other ingredients. Stir to combine everything, then add the uncooked chicken breasts in the pot.
2. A boring but necessary photo of how the soup looks fully assembled and uncooked. The raw chicken breasts are nestled in the middle of the slow cooker.
3. When the cooking time is nearly done, pull the chicken breasts out with tongs and shred with two forks (it’ll be very tender and juicy). Then add it back in the soup along with cubed cream cheese.
Let the soup simmer a little while longer to break up and melt the cream cheese – this can take a few minutes and it may look curdled at first, but don’t worry – it’s just not melted. Serve with fixings such as cheese, green onions and parsley.
Tips and Possible Variations
- I used four (4) ounces of cream cheese in this recipe, but you can make the soup even creamier by adding eight (8) ounces, which is a regular block of cream cheese. Just cut it into small pieces so it melts and distributes easier.
- Black beans are very good in this soup, but you could substitute them for small pinto beans – or any other kind of beans that you’d like.
- This soup as written is mild, but make it spicy by adding a half a teaspoon of red pepper flakes and a shake or two or hot sauce.
- Serve hot bowls of this delicious soup with as many fixings as you’d like – grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream, avocado and corn chips. Go simple or fancy.
- Make a big delicious salad like this beauty to go alongside, as well as this cheesy & hot stuffed garlic bread, or this tasty and easy homemade cornbread recipe.
- Have smaller bowls of soup before a cozy dinner of Turkey Pasta Bake.
- Dessert is always on the menu, and you can’t go wrong with an incredible bar cookie…make these strawberry cheesecake bars or these popular and easy butterscotch shortbread bars (dunking in melted chocolate optional!) or these fantastic lemon shortbread bar cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Airtight containers with a well-fitted lid always work, but my favorite is a large glass canning jar with a lid. The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Absolutely! Make it the day before you need it, that’s the beauty of a slow cooker.
More Recipes to Try
- Slow Cooker Asparagus: The ultimate fix-it-and-forget it side dish!
- Slow Cooker Yankee Pot Roast: An extremely yummy all-in-one-pot dinner.
- Vegan Potato Soup: A very tasty, easy soup recipe.
- Dairy Free Pumpkin Soup: Creamy and so delicious and warming.
- Cherry Tomato Soup Recipe: This one is a keeper!
- Sweet and Spicy Almonds: The perfect starter!
- Baked Chicken Marsala Recipe: A classic, delicious recipe.
If you’ve tried Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup Slow Cooker, or any other recipe on Studio Delicious, please rate the recipe 5 stars and tell me how you liked it in comments below!
Looking for more tips and fresh, homemade recipes? Join my email list, tag and follow me on Instagram using #studiodeliciouseats, follow my boards on Pinterest, and see what I’m up to on Facebook and Twitter!
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter, unsalted
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 1 large Onion, yellow, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, fresh, minced
- 1 4 ounce can Diced Mild Green Chili's, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Petite Diced Tomatoes, canned Organic
- 2 15 ounce cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce bag Frozen Corn No need to defrost, or use canned corn.
- 6 cups Chicken Broth, low sodium
- 15 ounce can or jar Enchilada Sauce, store bought
- 1- 1 and ⅓ pound Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4 ounces cubed Cream Cheese, cut into small cubes.
- Optional Optional fixings for garnish: Grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream, tortilla chips, chopped parsley.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the olive oil and butter over medium heat until the butter has melted. Add in the chopped green pepper and onion with a big pinch of salt. Cook and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until the peppers and onions are soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds longer, than add the can of diced green chili's and the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, ground pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir and continue to cook another 30 seconds or so, then transfer the whole mixture to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the two cans of diced tomatoes, the black beans, the corn, the four cups of chicken broth and the enchilada sauce. Stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts on both sides, then nestle them in the middle bottom of the slow cooker. Set the temperature form"high" and cook in the slow cooker with the lid on for 4 hours. Remove the chicken breasts with tongs, shred the chicken breasts with two forks and add it back to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Turn the slow cooker to the "low" setting, then add in the cubed cream cheese, and let it sit in the cooker to melt, stirring occasionally. Note that it may look lumpy, but the cheese will melt eventually. Continue to cook on low for another hour, then stir, garnish with desired toppings and serve.
- Make the soup creamier by doubling the cream cheese for a total of 8 ounces. It’s best to cube the cheese before adding it to the slow cooker. Let it sit and melt for a few minutes before stirring.
- Use any garnish you’d like for this soup – sliced green onions, sour cream, tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, avocado.
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible
Please rate this recipe and thanks for leaving a comment!