Chicken Taco Sliders with Fresh Veggie Salsa have bold Tex-Mex flavors and rotisserie chicken for a quick meal that’s delicious anytime of the year.
Chicken Taco Sliders with Fresh Veggie Salsa
I have been known to eat the same things over and over in a short period of time.
This probably isn’t normal, but no point fighting it.
One summer I cooked salmon so many different ways it is now referred to as ‘The Summer of Salmon.”
Then there was the time I practically overdosed on vanilla frozen yogurt from a deli down the street. So insatiable was my desire for this particular frozen yogurt that I took a picture of it and emailed it to whoever was going out for the afternoon mail run.
I’m a good tipper 🙂
The other day I went to lunch by myself and had one of the best veggie burgers I’ve ever eaten. The bun was hot and toasty – a perfect contrast to the cold lettuce, tomato and thick house-made pickles.
It was just as good as I remembered it – which was only last week.
Right about now we’re busy having fun, or should be. Like watching parades and fireworks, eating watermelon, having cookouts and drinking sparkling wine coolers with sand in our toes and SPF on our nose.
Double bonus points for food that’s easy to put together and doesn’t heat up the kitchen.
What follows here is a store bought rotisserie chicken made better with a simmer sauce and topped with a fresh veggie salsa. We’re talking zucchini, peppers, green beans, cherry tomatoes and corn you cut right off the cob.
The trick is to barely cook the vegetables so they stay nice and crunchy.
Oh, and a simple avocado cream is the cherry on top – a quick whiz of avocado, sour cream, fresh lime juice and salt and pepper.
Slider size tortillas make this a fun appetizer for a crowd – just set them on squares of parchment paper so they are easy to scoop up and eat.
I’m willing to bet you can’t eat just one.
Chicken Taco Sliders With Fresh Veggie Salsa
- For the CHICKEN MIXTURE:
- 1 pound Rotisserie Chicken, cooked, shredded
- 1 pouch Simply Organic Mild Taco Simmer Sauce
- 1 cup Salsa
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- For the FRESH VEGGIE SALSA
- 1 cup Zucchini, cut in small (1/2") dice
- 1/4 cup Green Pepper, seeded, cut in 1/2" dice
- 1 cup Corn, fresh if possible, cut off cobb
- 1/2 cup Green Beans, fresh, cut in 1/2"dice
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 Green Onions, white part only, cut thin
- 2 tbsp. Flat Leaf (Italian) Parsley for salsa, and for garnish
- 1 tbsp. Lime Juice, fresh
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper, freshly ground
- For The AVOCADO CREAM
- 1 medium Avocado, cut in half and pitted, flesh scooped out
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice, fresh
- 1- 11 oz Flour Tortillas, slider size, fried for a minute or two on both sides in a little olive oil to remove the raw taste. Set aside on paper towels until ready to use.
- 2 tbsp. Flat Leaf (Italian) Parsley, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup Queso Fresco Cheese for garnish
- Lime Wedges, sliced, for serving
- MAKE THE CHICKEN MIXTURE
- In a large non-stick sauce pan, lightly coat the bottom of the pan with the olive oil.
- Remove meat from rotisserie chicken and cut or shred into medium-sized chunks.
- Add chicken, salsa and Simply Organic Mild Taco Simmer Sauce to the pan, and gently combine over medium heat until the mixture is heated through.
- MAKE THE VEGGIE SALSA:
- In a large non-stick saucepan, add the zucchini, green pepper, corn and green beans with 4 tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the veggies on medium high heat shaking the pan occasionally, until the water evaporates, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cherry tomatoes, green onion, fresh parsley and lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Gently toss together and place a bowl to set aside until needed.
- MAKE THE AVOCADO CREAM
- In a food processor, put all ingredients in and whiz together until smooth.
- ASSEMBLE THE TACOS
- On each tortilla, place a heaping tablespoon of the warm chicken mixture, and the same amount of veggie salsa on top.
- Garnish with a little pinch of parsley or cilantro and queso fresco cheese and serve.