These Boozy Fresh Cherry Blackbottom Milkshakes are a decadent and clever dessert to serve your adult friends. This spiked milkshake recipe has a fabulous cherry flavor and silky, smooth texture. The soft, black puddle of chocolate ganache at the bottom is just an added bonus.
Boozy Fresh Cherry Blackbottom Milkshakes
When I was sixteen years old, I worked at a fast food joint where they made milk shakes the real way.
There were two big mixers with six spindles on each – and heavy-duty stainless steel mixing cups that I’d fill half-way with soft serve vanilla ice cream.
I’d add a big scoop of strawberry puree or a squirt of syrupy chocolate sauce and a little milk before attaching the cups to the giant mixers.
These old-fashioned milkshakes took a little time, but they were thick, cold and especially wonderful with a side of hot french fries.
I’m salivating just thinking about it.
Each month a special milkshake flavor was offered too, like chunky fresh pineapple, mint chip or cinnamon- spiked eggnog. I loved them all.
What I hated more than anything in the world was cleaning the big machines – a huge pain in the neck – only to have them messed up a few minutes later when the restaurant got busy again.
Then there was the time I didn’t put the mixing vessels on securely. The milkshakes spun wildly out of control at a very high rate of speed, flying all over my face, the walls, the french fry station and the guy flipping burgers behind me.
The boss did not like this.
I don’t remember serving a fresh cherry shake, though. And certainly not a boozy one.
Don’t worry – you won’t get hammered on these milkshakes unless you have like twenty. Which you would never do because that would just be too many.
The fresh cherries hang out in a little brandy first – which they like very much, and it adds an amazing depth of flavor.
Skip the hooch if you don’t want it – it’ll still be awesome.
And there’s a little puddle of soft chocolate ganache hiding patiently on the bottom – best eaten with a spoon – decadent and delightful, and worth a try on this long weekend.
Boozy Fresh Cherry Black Bottom Milkshakes
- 2 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (60%) see recipe note
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 3 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups Pitted Cherries, fresh or frozen plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 ounces Brandy (optional)
- 1 cup Milk or more if you like your shakes thinner
- 2 teaspoons Honey to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2/3 cup Whipped Topping, for garnish
- MAKE THE GANACHE
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it bubbles and simmers (not boiling) and is heated all the way through.
- Place the chocolate squares in a small heat-proof bowlPour the warm cream over the top. Let it sit for five minutes, then stir the ingredients together with a fork or whisk until smooth.
- Place the cherries in a medium sized bowl and pour the brandy on top. Toss together and let them sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the ice cream, cherries, almond extract, honey and milk in a blender. Process on high speed until smooth. Add a bit more honey for sweetness or milk if too thick at this point.
- Divide the chocolate ganache on the bottom of your serving glasses. Pour the cherry milkshake over the top. Add 1/3 cup of whipped topping and another cherry to granish.
- I used Bittersweet Ghirardelli chocolate, four squares which is 2 ounces.
- You can leave the alcohol out of this shake completely - delicious both ways!
- Use non-dairy ice cream and whipped toppiong if preferred.
- You can make this recipe into 2 larger servings instead of 4.
- This recipe was updated in December, 2019.
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible