These Apple Butter Hand Pies are a grown-up version of the toaster pastries you loved as a kid, but way better. They’re perfect to serve as a casual dessert for parties, and are extra delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Apple Butter Hand Pies
When I was a kid, the holy grail of “breakfast” was Strawberry Pop Tarts.
With frosting and sprinkles.
And make that two, please.
Always, always heated in the toaster.
This recipe calls for apple butter instead of strawberry jam, and while I’d still love to eat it for breakfast, it’s definitely a dessert.
What You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Refrigerated Pie Crust: My good old friend, so reliable and easy to work with
- Apple Butter: I love this organic apple butter variety
- Egg: Just one, for the very important task of sealing the edges
- Maple Syrup: Because everything tastes better with maple syrup
- Other Stuff: Powdered sugar, milk, sliced almonds, a pinch of salt and we’re good to go
Also, don’t you love this amazingly cute rolling pin a friend got me on Etsy?
How Do you Make this Apple Dessert?
- Roll out the pie crusts: With a rolling pin, just make a long oval shape with the dough
- Trim the ends: And portion the dough in that iconic rectangular shape
- Fill and Seal: Spoon the apple butter on the center of the crust and seal – don’t be tempted to overfill!
- Bake and Glaze: Sprinkle with sliced almonds for extra crunch
Seriously, these little pies are next-level.
And they don’t have those thick, dry edges either (somebody should do something about those.) 🙂
These hand pies are a little crispy, a little sweet and BIG delicious.
Tips and Helpful Hints
- You can use other jams too! Just substitute with your favorite flavor but go for a smooth variety
- It’s important to chill the apple butter hand pies for at least 30 minutes prior to baking
- Make a small cut mark in the middle of each pie before baking to allow the steam to escape
- Unbaked pies can be frozen for a month, then baked straight from the freezer until golden brown
IDEAS FOR SERVING
Three words: Vanilla Ice Cream.
Who wouldn’t love a homemade apple hand pie for an Oktoberfest party or tailgating?
Place the pies in cute wax paper bags to give your friends or co-workers.
The hand pies look especially perky displayed in individual bags inside a decorative box or crate too 🙂
Thanks for Pinning this Recipe!
APPLE BUTTER HAND PIES
- Large baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 1 Refrigerated piecrust 14.1 oz
- 1 Egg large
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Water
- 1/2 cup Apple Butter Plus 1 more tablespoon for the glaze
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon apple butter
- 2 tablespoons Almonds, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Roll each of the two piecrusts using a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface, shaping it vertically into a 14" oval
- Trim and discard rounded ends of each piecrust, then using a sharp knife, cut each crust into 6 - 4 inch rectangles (squares). Use a patterned rolling pin on one side if desired.
- Place 6 of the squares on the parchment lined baking sheet
- Whisk together the egg with (half) the salt (1/8 tsp) plus 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl
- Spoon 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of apple butter in the center of each square, smoothing it out with the back of a spoon but leaving about an inch of space around the edges
- Brush edges of the pastry with some of the egg mixture using a pastry brush or your fingers, then top each one with the remaining piecrust squares one at at time, pressing the edges lightly with a fork or back end of a spoon to seal the crusts together to make 6 hand pies
- Refrigerate the apple hand pies for 30 minutes
- Remove from fridge and brush the tops of each hand pie with the remaining egg mixture
- Sprinkle the top of each hand pie with a teaspoon of sugar
- Cut a small line in the middle of each pastry to allow steam to escape while baking
- Place in hot oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Cool on wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, maple syrup, remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon milk together in a medium sized bowl. Add the apple butter and whisk with a fork until smooth
- Drizzle the glaze on top of each hand pie and sprinkle with sliced almonds
- I spread a little bit of olive oil on the parchment paper with my fingers before placing the hand pies on the baking sheet as extra insurance from sticking.
- I always use Bakers Sugar in my baking recipes and it's available in most grocery stores. Regular sugar works fine too.
- Unbaked pies can be frozen for a month. When serving, bake the frozen pastries in a preheated 425 oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Super important to read the whole recipe before you begin
- Pay attention to the ingredient list and photos for the recipe
- If possible, prep your ingredients a little before you start
- Always use a sharp knife for safety
- Use the size of pan called for in the recipe
- For savory recipes, taste and season as you go
- Buy fresh, organic ingredients, locally sourced whenever possible