These Citrus Roasted Carrots are a light, bright addition to any holiday table…the colors are stunning too.
I’m guessing you have at least one photo from a former celebration that showcases your beautifully set holiday table.
And a long, delicious spread of mostly brown food.
The turkey is brown, of course, but lets face it – there are also plenty of side dishes with crumbly brown toppings, and at least one mysterious-looking beige item swimming in butter.
All the way down that table.
Even the pies are brown.
While most holiday food is fat-filled and creamy and so, so delicious, it is often quite dull looking once the table is set.
Sometimes the only green thing is gelatinous with odd things suspended inside, like pineapple and celery and mini marshmallows (gag.)
Many things are passed off as edible during the holidays, things that you’d really never eat the rest of the year.
One of my favorite lines of all time is what’s the difference between a fruit cake and a poinsettia? You can eat a poinsettia 🙂
It’s sort of old-fashioned to call these Citrus Roasted Carrots modern, but I’m going to anyway.
Let’s put some light and bright and kind of beautiful side dishes on the holiday table this year.
Nothing too crazy or exotic so nobody gets upset.
These carrots are roasted with simple ingredients like extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh squeezed orange juice.
Take them out of the oven and plate them, then garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and toasted almonds.
Watch your oven time, since its different for everybody.
As they say, once you can stick a fork in it, it’s done.
- Serves 4-6
- 2 1/2 pounds medium-sized carrots. (I like the organic multi-colored ones if you can find them, with the green stems still on)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground lemon pepper (or regular pepper)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Position oven rack to the lower third
- Wash, peel, rewash and trim carrots.
- Slice in half and quarters, if large, length-wise
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots with the oil, salt, pepper and orange juice. Spread on the large baking sheet and pour any remaining liquid from the bowl on top of the carrots.
- Roast vegetables, stirring occasionally until fork tender, 50-60 minutes (time will vary depending on your oven.)
- Remove from oven and place on a platter, garnish with the fresh parsley and sliced almonds.
Some other fresh side dishes for the holiday table:
Source: Studio Delicious